Stop spreading the bull!

Posted: August 25, 2013 in Ramblings
Tags: , ,

So there I was, sitting in front of this computer and looking up other wordpress.com blogs about ADD/ADHD, and there it was.  A blog post about how the “inventor” of ADHD confessed on his deathbed that the condition was made up.  It was all a load of bull.  The exact quote was “ADHD is a prime example of a fictitious disease.”

The quote is attributed to Dr. Leon Eisenberg, a child psychologist who did some of the first rigorous studies into ADHD.  He was a real pioneer in the field of child psychology, so this admission is pretty damning, right?

Well, the blog in question – and I won’t link to it since it’ll probably be taken down soon due to TOS violations for wordpress.com sites – is really just a cut and paste job from a website called NaturalNews.com.  Their article, which I will be happy to link to, talks about how Dr. Eisenberg was part of the group for the American Psychiatric Association that “invented” ADHD.

Many vaguely understand that the American Psychiatric Association (APA) keeps making up diseases as they continue developing new issues of their DSM or Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

Recently, a founding father of ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), announced a few months before his death that … “ADHD is a prime example of a fictitious disease.”

After turning 87 years old, American psychiatrist Dr. Leon Eisenberg made this statement to the German weekly Der Spiegel on 2 February 2012. Seven months later, he died. Apparently, he had decided to come clean and confess before moving to the beyond.

Dr. Eisenberg was among the committee of psychiatrists who put together the DMS II in 1968. He had initially coined the term “hyperkinetic reaction of childhood,” which was described and agreed upon by the committee and confirmed by a small percentage of APA members as a mental disorder. Later, the term was altered to the current ADHD.

Yet, there is no biological proof or test to determine exactly what chemicals are “out of balance” in the brain for ADHD or any other disorder. Most psychiatric drugs are unnecessary at least. And they have often caused suicide and homicide.

Of course, the author neglected to point out that there are no tests to determine exactly what chemicals are out of balance for a whole host of other psychological and neurological conditions.

For the record folks, NaturalNews isn’t a real news site.  Their journalistic rigor is about half a staircase below something like TMZ.  In fact, Snopes.com took a look at what Dr. Eisenberg is alleged to have said and see something completely different.  In fact, it’s funny that this circulated after Dr. Eisenberg’s death.  Dead men tell no tales after all, so clearly the whole ADHD thing is fabricated, right?  Wrong.  This news coming around after he died is just a tactic to make sure we can’t talk to the man and get clarification.

For whatever reason, I can’t copy and paste relevant portions of the Snopes article here, but I will point out that what Dr. Eisenberg was talking about wasn’t the condition itself, but the over diagnosing that is currently underway.  On that, I will agree.  ADHD makes an awesome scapegoat for poor parenting.  The reason for the explosion of ADHD diagnosis these days isn’t because there are simply more cases, but because it looks suspiciously like poor parenting if one isn’t careful.

A mother sits in a doctor’s office, trying to explain why little Johnny can’t sit still in class.  “I don’t know what to do, doctor.  I’ve tried everything I could think of,” she says.  Of course, all that she could think of was to either bribe little Johnny, or to ground him for three weeks, only to let it slide after a few hours.  She’s really done nothing, so ADHD gets the blame.

My parents weren’t perfect, but they actually did try everything they could.  I’m actually a pretty well behaved person for the most part, I’m just a little screwed up in some incredibly common ADHD ways.  So are a lot of other people.

Folks, this condition is real.  I, and millions of others, deal with this every day.  It’s been an albatross around my neck my entire life.  Don’t believe me?  Tough.  I don’t believe people can be so stupid as to believe what some quack website says as opposed to millions of people who suffer – and it really is suffering folks – from this condition.  Yet, there you are.

May you never have something that other people don’t believe is real.

Advertisements
Comments
  1. messymarissa says:

Wow, amen. Nothing bothers me more than when I get a response that ADD/ADHD isn’t real. Too many uneducated people throwing out uneducated assumptions.

• Tom says:

I know how you feel. I’ve tried telling people that it’s real and what it’s like, but they don’t want to listen. I’m going to start comparing the whole “just try to keep things straight” and “try harder to pay attention” advice to telling a paraplegic to “try harder to walk”. Maybe, just maybe, it’ll sink in with some of these people.

But I’m also not going to hold my breath.

• This is so true, my personal favorites are “Everyone has problems concentrating sometimes”, and “Don’t be so lazy”. I come from a BIG family with lots of siblings. My mom, sister and myself all have attention deficit, the other kids don’t. There is a marked difference between us and them. It would be nice if “normal” people could learn to accept it and stop trying to “fix” us or pretend away the reality of the situation…but in the meantime, I’ll just keep cultivating patience and tolerance for the normies. 🙂

• Tom says:

Unfortunately, we suffer from a condition that is just too much like laziness in other people for them to comprehend it as anything else. You’re right, there is a big difference between the “norms” and us. The great shame is that it’s almost impossible to explain what it’s like inside of our heads.

2. CeeLee says:

You know what I say?
    Well not real loud or actually to their faces, no.
    They could snap and eat me or something, who knows with nuts?

Anyway…I just say (sing)
    “Idiots to the left of me, crackpots to the right.
    And I’m…stuck in the middle between the two.”

Okay or something less nice but same tune 😉

3. CeeLee says:

Just callin’ ’em like I see ’em 😉

4. SirBrass says:

It’s not the idiots calling out this stuff but folks who I know who ought to know better because they demonstrate excellent critical thinking and analysis in other areas. So, there’s nothing wrong with their ability to think through issues, yet they’ll jump on board with the “ADD/ADHD is a fictitious disease” and then genuinely NOT get why I get nearly mouth-frothingly angry at them over it.

I expect idiots to act and talk like idiots (thus why I usually just mute, change the channel, roll my eyes and mutter every time Barack Obama opens his mouth… I don’t expect anything truthful or wise to ever pass between his lips when there’s a pundit to take down every word), so it’s not them who bother me. It’s the ones who ought to know better. And then when confronted they have the gal to say “Well, I have some of the symptoms too and I don’t need medication.” Right. If you exhibited what I go through regularly, then you wouldn’t be saying these things.

Thankfully my parents saw that I was trying to focus and pay attention, yet simply could not. It took a few years and some investigation by them (of which I was unaware of at the time, as I was very much NOT aware of much because I was so generally distracted) till they finally went to my pediatrician and also consulted with my elementary school’s guidance counsilor. This was after doing the reading and such on the topic. They put me on Ritalin, and I’m told the difference was night and day in school. They believed me when I told them that I simply forgot, etc. They didn’t let me be lazy, mind you, but they could tell when it was lazy or when it was simply distraction. They at least GOT IT.

The REAL problem right now in society as far as prejudices go is prejudice against the high functioning people. Asbergers, ADD, ADHD etc. That is, otherwise normal functioning adults who have trouble interacting and functioning in society through no fault of their own. And they are made fun of, told “just don’t do that” or “stop being lazy” by people who in this regard are so callous as to disregard that possibility that these people are TRYING their hardest to function and simply fit in in some way or at least operate well in society, and simply can not in some way or form. It’s easy to have compassion on a kid with Down’s, or an Autistic person, because it’s bloody obvious that they need compassionate assistance. It’s those who outwardly seem normal yet still need help that get tossed under the bus, even by folks who really ought to know better.